MeadowCVT13
MeadowCVT13, Certified Veterinary Technician
Experience:  DVM student at University of Florida; 10 years experience as a CVT - emergency & critical care

my dog has one ear very red I worried it may be ear mites I

Customer Question

my dog has one ear very red I worried it may be ear mites I just clean her ear with vinagar on a cotton ball and I put antibiotic ointment on her ear. I was wondering if I could give her a reactine?
Category: Dog
Expert:  MeadowCVT13 replied 4 years ago.

Thanks for your question. How long has the ear been like this? Is she scratching it? Is it bleeding?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I just noticed it tonight she stared to shake her head and scratch. I looked in both her ears only one is bright red its not bleeding just looked dirty so I clean out some seemed to be black junk and may some ear wax. see is a rottweiler/doberman mix.I also have another dog she is one she soesn't seem to have any effects that dog is a min pin/jack russel
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi did you get my last reply?

Ok, thanks for that info.

It could very well be ear mites, but it could also be a bacterial infection or a yeast infection. The only way to find out for sure is to have your vet do a cytology on Monday when they open. Once the condition is properly diagnosed, your vet can give you correct medication to treat it.

Moisture that gets caught deep in the ear canal is usually the culprit for wax build up and subsequently any one of the above infections could occur. Sometimes certain dogs have a predisposition to infections due to the way their ear canal is designed - such as narrow, deep canals or heavy ear flaps. Your other dog may not get an infection, but be aware that mites are contagious so wash your hands thoroughly after handling the affected pet's ears.

In the meantime - avoid using vinegar to clean the ear. You can use just plain cotton balls for now until you can get him into the vet for the proper medications. Wipe out whatever black gunk you can see in the canal. Avoid going too deep into the canal; only clean what you can see. Do not use water or vinegar as you want to keep the canal as dry as possible. Your vet will probably prescribe some type of ointment-like medication depending on what the problem is. They might also give you a cleaning solution (you may have to ask for it) that is designed just for ears; it is made of chemicals that are drying agents and prevent the moisture from building up in the ear. You can use this solution to clean the ears regularly to avoid issues in the future. Avoid buying the products in the pet store as they are usually cheaply made and ineffective. If your vet does not prescribe any cleaner in particular, I recommend Epi-Otic by Virbac or Sebozole by Vet Solutions. You can buy either of these online, just google the names for a list of places that sell it.

If there are some abrasions on the outside of the ear (on the flap) you can put a little triple antibiotic ointment there to soothe the scratches, but avoid putting any in the ear canal until you see your vet.

Good luck!

Experience: DVM student at University of Florida; 10 years experience as a CVT - emergency & critical care
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thank you so very much for you time I really appreciate it. I will do just that
No problem, good luck and let me know if you have any other questions.