Gen B.
Gen B., Retired Veterinary Technician
Experience:  Lhasa,Shih Tzu Breeder/ B.A.Neurophysiology & Animal Behavior/I use plain English!

My dog has been extremely itchy for a few months. She is a

My dog has been extremely itchy for a few months. She is a golden retriever 1 year old. When she first got itchy I took her to the vet and he gave her a shot. It only helped for two days. Then I took her back and they gave her some pills ( I think they were a low dose steroid) That didn’t do much to help so we changed her food to Wellness dry dog food ( The White fish and Sweet Potato Recipe) It also includes rye flower, barley, canola oil and ground flaxseed.
We didn’t see a lot of improvement after a month on this diet, so I took her back to the vet yesterday and he gave me Temaril P tablets to try for over ten days. Yesterday we started putting the tablets in her food. Along with the tablets I have been adding a tablespoon of Flaxseed oil, teaspoon of olive oil, and 1/8 teaspoon of Tumeric powder. Is this any good? Is it too much? I read on the internet it could to help itching and inflammation. I wanted to make sure it was ok to give her this everyday before I did it for a long time. I really want to help her itching because it looks like she is so uncomfortable. Any other suggestions?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Gen B. replied 4 years ago.
To confirm: she is 12 months old?

What food was she eating originally?

When exactly did this "itching" start?

Is she scratching all over with her feet (face, head, sides, under tail)?

Or is she scratching at the base of her ribs?

Or is she chewing at her middle abdomen...between her ribs and her tail?

Are you able to say where you live?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Yes she is 12 Months old, almost 13.

She was eating Life's Abundance dog food up until a month ago.

INGREDIENTS:
Chicken Meal, Ground Brown Rice, Oat Groats, Chicken Fat (Preserved with Mixed Tocopherols, a natural source of Vitamin E), Dried Beet Pulp, Brewers Dried Yeast, Flaxseed Meal, Natural Flavors, Dried Egg Product, Catfish Meal, Potassium Chloride, Salt, L-Lysine, Canola Oil, DL-Methionine, Calcium Carbonate, Monosodium Phosphate, Dried Carrots, Dried Celery, Dried Beets, Dried Parsley, Dried Lettuce, Dried Watercress, Dried Blueberries, Dried Broccoli, Dried Lactobacillus acidophilus Fermentation Product, Dried Lactobacillus casei Fermentation Product, Dried Bifidobacterium thermophilum Fermentation Product, Dried Enterococcus faecium Fermentation Product, Pomegranate Extract, Ascorbic Acid, Vitamin E Supplement, Inositol, Niacin Supplement, Thiamine Mononitrate, Riboflavin Supplement, d-Calcium Pantothenate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Biotin, Vitamin A Acetate, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Citric Acid, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Folic Acid, Zinc Proteinate, Zinc Sulfate, Manganese Proteinate, Manganese Sulfate, Ferrous Sulfate, Iron Proteinate, Zinc Oxide, Copper Proteinate, Selenium Yeast, Copper Sulfate, Manganous Oxide, Potassium Iodide.

Itching started in October.

She is scrating all over, but mostly chewing/ sucking middle abdomen between ribs and tail.

Yes I can stay live.

Expert:  Gen B. replied 4 years ago.
I wanted to know what part of the country (or world) you live in!

Has she been surgically sterilized (spayed)?

Is her skin red all over?

Is she scratching her ears (and knotting up the fur)?

Is she able to exercise vigorously...or does she get tired and want to sit down a lot?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

We live in Northwest Arkansas.

She was spayed last July.

SHe is scratching at her ears some but not knotting up the fur. She is mostly chewing on her sides a lot and some under her tail. Every once in awhile she will chew on her paws, which are chapped, dry, and red inbetween.

I don't think her skin is red all over mainly between paws.

She has been running around a lot outside, but comes inside and just lays around.

We are nonsmokers and our house is mostly wood floors.

Everytime I try to look at her paw she gets up and runs off.

Expert:  Gen B. replied 4 years ago.
Hello and thanks for researching this very important question...I am so sorry that your Baby is having this difficult and distressing experience!

Sometimes hormonal changes can cause significant skin problems for intact females...we can cross this off our list.

The canine immune system is not mature until closer to 18-24 months of age. It is not until after this time that True Allergy appears...so I was concerned right away that this is NOT her problem (even though Goldens can develop severe allergies as they age--she may still end up being an allergy sufferer). In addition, since the steroids did not provide any lasting relief, we should absolutely look for Something Else.

Young dogs and puppies will chew mercilessly at their abdomens when they have some kind of gastrointestinal upset. Namely, a lot of gas build-up from either eating too fast, eating the wrong things, or a combination of both.

Since she is now at the age where dogs will begin to Gulp their meals greedily, you might consider how to get her to eat more slowly. Small portions at a time while you have her Sit quietly...use a Kong or similar heavy-weight hollow toy that she'll have to lie down and take some time with, etc..

I like the Wellness diet you are using now very much...it is meat-based and contains fewer things that might cause digestive gas and irritation (no broccoli, no soy, no spinach, no celery, no corn). It is, however, what we call "Upside-down" in regard to the Omega 3:6 fatty acids ratio. These fats are very important to skin health and should be more heavily weighted on the Omega 3 side. The package label I found for this diet lists the Omega 6 fatty acids as almost 3 times higher than the Omega 3's (again, this is Backward, or Upside-down). In order to improve this ratio for her, you can go to the regular Canned Meat section of the food store and get her either Salmon, Mackerel or Sardines packed in WATER (not vegetable oils---these can make digestive problems feel worse for dogs). Drain out the salty water and give about 2 ounces of this type of whole fish with each meal.

Instead of the oils and turmeric (very heavy and harsh in many cases for dogs), please get her some chamomile tea. If you steep a bag an hour before a meal, you can add the cooled tea to her food (this may make her eat more slowly--swallow less air). The chamomile is very soothing to the digestive linings all the way through.

It sounds like she does have a yeast infection starting up on her feet and back side. You can use either 50:50 vinegar and water, or a tablespoon of baking soda dissolved in 4 cups of water to soak these feet and rinse off her bottom. Make sure to BLOT (not wipe) all wetted skin dry...wet skin is no healthier than dry skin!

Add a probiotic supplement to her meals (acidophilus)...this supplement can be very helpful in getting rid of yeast inside and outside of the body. If you can find a powdered kind, it can be sprinkled on her feet and left on to try and kill off any yeast directly.

Make sure she is getting good walks so that you know she is getting the opportunity to have her intestines work very naturally...this helps dogs relieve themselves of gas and to not get any air pockets "stuck" anywhere along the way.

If she's outside unattended, she may be getting into things that are not good foods...or even toxic....this will complicate any treatments you and your vets try. Have the vet run a stool analysis for intestinal parasites if this has not been done in the last 3 months. Wildlife can track a lot of irritating buggies onto your property.

The last thing I would wonder about is the health of her hip joints...pain from any kind of malformations (common in this breed) can cause dogs to chew at the pelvic area.

If you need additional support at this time, please "REPLY", otherwise I thank you in advance for clicking "Accept".

Gen B., Retired Veterinary Technician
Experience: Lhasa,Shih Tzu Breeder/ B.A.Neurophysiology & Animal Behavior/I use plain English!