Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian

My 5 year old chihuahua mix has lost a top front tooth -- I

My 5 year old chihuahua mix has lost a top front tooth -- I do no tnotice anything unusual and gums are pink - shoudl I have vet check her out
Category: Dog
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 6 years ago.
Hi there Johnny_D1954,

Thank you for your question regarding your 5 year old Chihuahua mix girl. It sounds as though she has lost one of her incisors, or possibly one of the large eye teeth known as a canine tooth. It is much more likely this is one of her incisors and thankfully dogs generally don't really use these teeth at all other than for picking up pieces of food. The fact she has lost one tooth is not of concern to me, however it could definitely be that she has bad dental disease that led to this tooth becoming loose in the first place. For this reason, I would definitely recommend a Vet check up and oral exam to assess the remaining teeth as Chihuahua's and other small breeds are very prone to periodontal disease (gum infections and loose teeth). If it is seen that she has quite bad teeth, I would definitely encourage you to have a dental done on this girl.

I hope this helps and let me know how you get on!

Thank you and please now click ACCEPT.

Kind Regards,

Dr M D Edwards