Gen B.
Gen B., Retired Veterinary Technician
Experience:  Lhasa,Shih Tzu Breeder/ B.A.Neurophysiology & Animal Behavior/I use plain English!

Is it good for dogs to eat a little vaseline daily or weekly

Customer Question

Is it good for dogs to eat a little vaseline daily or weekly? I know it helps cats w/hairballs, any thing for dogs?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Gen B. replied 6 years ago.
What kind of dog do you have?

How old is he/she?

Are you interested in a particular health condition, or are you asking about this salve in general?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
A boxer. Wondering if it helps w/the coat or shedding.
Expert:  Gen B. replied 6 years ago.
Hello and thanks for researching this very important question!

Petrolatum can actually cause a lot of problems when taken internally. It would most certainly cause your dog diarrhea, since this is basically what it does for bound-up cats.

Over time, it can cause imbalance of electrolytes and interfere with absorption of nutrients from foods (it should not be used for hairballs in cats more than twice weekly, and in very controlled amounts).

The omega 3 fatty acids are best for skin...and found naturally in foods like mackerel and salmon.

For a dog of this size, I would try adding a half-can of drained salmon or mackerel solids (look in the Canned Meat aisle of the food store) to his daily routine (add 1/4 can for the first week to prevent shock to his digestion).

The better the food you feed him, the healthier he will be in all. Choose the best-quality food you can afford. Preferably, Real Meat will be the first ingredient on the label (NOT a grain, NOT meal meal, NOT meat digest or by-product).

Too much grain can absorb natural oils from foods and prevent them from being absorbed and moved to the skin...use a grain-free diet if possible.

Dogs shed twice annually (spring and fall), and a bit all the time. This is a natural process that can't be stopped. If his diet contains skin- and fur-supporting nutrients, then his shed should reduce to a natural balance with his hair production.

If you need additional support at this time, please "REPLY", otherwise I thank you in advance for clicking "Accept".