Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }

Why is my dog licking her butt I took her in and had the

Why is my dog licking her butt? I took her in and had the glands squeezed but she still is doing thin after she comes in from outside.
Thanks for the questionCustomerbr />
The normal causes of anal irritation in dogs would be the following :

1. Anal gland impaction. I know your vet has checked this out but I will cover it a bit for you anyway as this has to be the most common cause, this condition is not really a disease more an inconvenience. Dogs have glands close to the anus which can be impacted and full. These glands are internal so all the dog can do to relieve this minor discomfort would be to drag her bottom along the carpet or licking the area. Your vet will be able to squeeze out these glands in the consulting room, this is such a small procedure. The process of squeezing the glands can cause a bit more irritation so it can sometimes be two or three days before things settle down.

2. Some worms can cause anal irritation. You would often not actually see these worms so you should make sure your dog is wormed regularly for both tape and round worms.

3. Anal eczema. Some dogs for the above reasons or other reasons may get an eczema of the anal area. The licking then perpetuates the situation and keeps it going, if you look you may find that the anal area is inflamed. In this situation I often prescribed 0.5 or 1% hydrocortisone cream to be applied to the area twice a day for five days and this often helped. While I would encourage you to go to your vet for such products I am aware that they are available over the counter in some parts of the world.

If I have not answered your question fully enough or if you would like to ask more I will be on line for the next hour or so and I will be pleased to discuss your question further.

Scott Nimmo BVMS MRCVS
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Thanks...I always take my dog in for her checkups....wouldn't they be checking for worms?

I take her in every six weeks to get her toenalis clipped....

Hello again,

There would be no way to check for worms other than analysis of a faecal sample, it would be good practice to worm your dog on a regular basis anyway. You can get wormers from your vet or better pets stores, just follow the instructions on the pack.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Is there a brand of "wormer" that you would recommend? Could I just use the product without having a fecal matter exam?
Hello again,

1. The best thing to do is to assume that your dog does have worms and this is very often the case. Dog's acquire their initial worm infection from their mothers while they are in the womb or shortly after birth. This worm burden will stay, albeit at a low level throughout life whether you worm your dog or not, so really almost all dogs have worms but they rarely affect the dogs much.

2. There is quite a range to choose from and almost all would be effective whether from your vet or a better pet store. You would be best to get them from your vet but products like this would be fine as well : LINK

3. Unless you dog was showing other symptoms such as diarrhoea or weight loss there would be very little point in faecal analysis, regular worming would be fine.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thanks Scott! Have a Good Evening! You've helped alot!
No problem, glad to advise you, this is very rarely too much to worry about ...