Cher, Dog Caregiver--Extensive Experience
Experience:  Extensive Experience Caring for Canines; Specializing in behavior and health concerns.

how do you get a dog to eat again after being diagnosed with

how do you get a dog to eat again after being diagnosed with pancreatitis? my dog is 14 years old and has not eaten for eight days, only will drink pedialyte. He has had two IV's at the vet's under his skin as he had become dehydrated from throwing up. now he won't eat any food. what can I do?

I'm sorry to hear your dog has been diagnosed with pancreatitis. In cases with this illness, it's best for the pancreas to rest and the digestive enzymes to not be produced, so typically, the dog will not receive any food by mouth. The vet can supply IV nutrition in addition to IV fluids, and antibiotics are often prescribed for this condition. An anti-inflammatory medication may also be prescribed, to help settle down the inflammation in the pancreas.

If your dog has not been prescribed any medication by his vet, put a call in to your vet to ask about this. Also, report that he has not eaten for 8 days and request he be given IV nutrition and fluids, if the fluids you mentioned were not given recently.

If the vet told you that you need to encourage your dog to eat, you can dropper feed him watered down plain jarred baby food chicken and chicken broth by Beechnut Stage 1. If you can't get this brand, make sure that any other one you choose does not contain any onion product, seasonings or preservatives. Use a 1cc sized dropper (or you can use a pet/pediatric medicine syringe also) and give him 1 dropperful every 20 minutes for an hour, then repeat in 2-3 hours.

I hope all will be well with your dog.

If you have found this answer helpful, please click 'Accept' and leave positive feedback; if you have additional questions, need more information and/or clarification, please click 'Reply'. Thanks.

Edited by Cher on 1/29/2010 at 2:51 AM EST