Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis Graduate, Interests: Dermatology, Internal Medicine, Pain Management

my dog is throwing up and drooling a lot. should i take her

my dog is throwing up and drooling a lot. should i take her to the urgent care?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 6 years ago.
I am sorry to hear about this concern
With such a young dog to be having these symptoms, absolutely, I would get her into an ER.

My primary concerns for vomiting include:

- Dietary indiscretion (eating something you do not know about)

- Stomach or intestinal foreign body

- Something that was given to them (new dog food, new treat, human food)

- Intestinal parasitism (not just the worms, but the microscopic bugs like Giardia and Coccidia). They can cause vomiting also, not just diarrhea

- Toxin exposure would be less likely, unless you have reason to suspect exposure to a chemical.

I have to be especially concerned with a younger pet because of the increased risk for dietary indiscretion and swallowing foreign bodies.

Well worth getting her into the ER for likely some abdominal x-rays, and medication/injections that can really quickly and effectively make her feel better.

Good Luck

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thank you for your quick response. What are some signs that I can watch closely for in case it gets worse? She's now sleeping on the bed finally and I don't know if I should wake up my 3 young children and take them with me to the hospital or can it wait until morning. I know she ate some foreign objects, probably from my kids toys. She threw up a small metal piece of a pencil eraser and also a small piece of vinyl from a football that she's been chewing on the past couple days.
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 6 years ago.
Bad signs:
More vomiting, panting at night, hacking repeatedly and not vomiting, seems uncomfortable (pacing), a bloated or distended abdomen appearance.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
She did that earlier (seems uncomfortable, pacing) threw up 6 times, but now she seems better. She's sleeping comfortably now. I think I will wait until she does it one more time. What do you think?
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 6 years ago.
I can only give the type of advice I already have. I can't evaluate your pet, it would be wrong and dangerous for me to say waiting is okay.

I'm sure you can understand...

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

I do. Thanks.

Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 6 years ago.
You are very welcome.