Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis Graduate, Interests: Dermatology, Internal Medicine, Pain Management

My dog got into a box of Truvia sweetener and ate 19 single

My dog got into a box of Truvia sweetener and ate 19 single serving packets. She became very dehydrated. I took her to the veterinarian's office where they put her on IV's and treated her. A year later, her creatinine level is still elevate - 2.1, I believe. All the rest of her blood work is normal. Is it possible that she just has a higher than normal creatinine level? Her veterinarian wants to put her on a kidney diet. She has no other symptoms of kidney disease whatsoever. Is there anything else I can do for her? Thanks.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 6 years ago.
Interesting. Too be honest, I am not even entirely confident that the sweetener had anything to do with the creatinine elevation in the first place.

Now, 2.1. For some laboratory reference ranges, that is not considered that far above normal. I believe my refernce lab goes up to 1.6.

So, if the 2.1 persists but doesn't change every 6 months or so, I am not worried about it.
However, if there were ALSO a mild elevation in the BUN, which represents the urea build up in the body, then absolutely, starting the kidney diet is important.

Don't be shy. Ask your vet to call a local internist just to see what they think and if starting the diet is warranted.

Good Luck
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Thanks for the reply. My vet had consulted with an internist - that seems to be where the idea of kidney diet food came from. My dog's creatinine level is the only thing that is elevated in her blood. Her BUN level is in the middle of the normal range. Her vet did say that she's pretty sure the elevated creatinine level has to be from the Truvia since she had normal creatinine levels when she did blood work right before spaying. The 2.1 has been consistent for over a year. The internist also suggested a urinalysis - which showed struvite crystals but no white or red blood cells. So now she's on antibiotics for 2 weeks.

I'm not convinced that I want to feed her the K/D diet because when I look at the ingredients in it, I see a lot of things I don't like feeding her - like lots of corn. She's an Australian cattle dog mix, and I have read that they shouldn't eat too much corn. (I don't know if that's true or not; but a lot of ACD people swear it is.) Also, the kidney diet dog food seem to be very low in protein - and Julep is a very active dog. I'm not sure she'll get what she needs nutritionally if she has to eat a diet with lower nutritional value. As it is, she has acted like she was hungry ever since she started eating senior food instead of regular food.

I want to do what's right for her. But I'm not convinced that she's going to get worse. Part of me feels that while her kidneys were damaged by the sweetener, whatever damage was done is done, and she's now stable. Do you have any advice? Would it be worth going to see another vet for a second opinion? (I've been going to our current vet for almost 20 years.)

Thank you,

Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 6 years ago.
Hello Anners,
Very difficult dilemma.
I could only say for you to talk with an internist directly about your feelings on the diet, so you don't get your vet's "interpretation" of what they want to do.

If the "corn-based" food you are referring to is Science Diet, it is a wonderful food. This isn't like other corn foods. Science Diet processes only the highly digestible component of the corn, unlike other brands.