Candy, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  Practicing Veterinary Technician for 26 years.Former Veterinary Practice Owner, Technician Trainer

My 10-yr Papillon has had runny diarrhea all day and vomiting.

My 10-yr Papillon has had runny diarrhea all day and vomiting. He is constantly licking his front forelegs fiercely and won't stop. Can't give him any meds because he is evidently too nauseated. Have offered 1/2 tab of Pepto-Bismol in a pill pocket, but he threw it up. Can't get in to see his vet for 2 days. What can I do?

Monte's Mom [email protected]
Category: Dog
Expert:  Candy replied 6 years ago.

Hello and welcome.

I am sorry to hear Monte is having trouble.

I would love to help I just have a few questions.

Have there been any changes to his diet new food, treats or human foods.

Any chance he ate some thing he should not have?

Any health problems besides this?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Monte' eats Ultra Holistic dog food with a small amount of microwaved chicken breast two times a day. I realized I had run out of the chicken yesterday morning and had a can of Purina dog food - chopped beef - and I put some of that on his dry dog food. He also goes out into my small back yard which has mostly dry grass now in Houston and buries his nose into it. I don't know if he is eating anything or not. He still has some allergies, but after a year of treatment with Atopica 25mg pills, is now down to only one per week. He seems better now at 7 PM, but is still licking his front forelegs like crazy and drinking water, but I have not given him any food. Since he is a Papillon, the diarrhea creates a HUGE problem, not to mention the vomiting. I am 81 1/2 years with a very bad back, and cleaning up after him and bathing him has caused me physical problems too. I can't get into his vet until late tomorrow and he is now licking and crying . Please help if you can!!
Expert:  Candy replied 6 years ago.

Thank you for the information.

I am glad to hear he is doing well on the Atopica I have seen such amazing results with this drug

The purina dog food is very high in fat and his system is likely reacting to it. A sudden diet change or foods that are rich or high in fat can cause irritation of the digestive tract as well as inflammation of the pancreas.The obsessive licking can be a sign of nausea.

If there is some mild inflammation in the pancreas this can be very painful.

The first line of treatment for vomiting and diarrhea is to with hold food and water for 12 hours. You can offer ice cubes as a means for him to stay hydrated. If you have a way to get liquid pepto this may help coat the stomach so he feels better.He should have nothing by mouth other then the pepto if you can get the liquid.

After the fast you can offer a bland diet of boiled chicken and rice fed in small meals 2-3 tablespoons several times a day.

If he is able to hold down food and water tomorrow you can try giving imodium for the diarrhea as some owners find this helpful.Here you can find information on this drug and the pepto including the dose.

Vomiting and diarrhea can be signs of problems with the kidney or liver in an older dog so if he continues to vomit you should have him seen by your vet.

I hope this has been helpful, please reply back if you have additional questions or concerns.