Gen B.
Gen B., Retired Veterinary Technician
Experience:  Lhasa,Shih Tzu Breeder/ B.A.Neurophysiology & Animal Behavior/I use plain English!
1298761

Can a dog postpone or stop their labor i calculated my dogs

Can a dog postpone or stop their labor? i calculated my dogs due date as the 23rd and still no puppies. She has discharged mucas, thrown up, soiled the bedroom and she paces non stop and follows me everywhere i go. Her teats are full and her belly looks like its going to explode and still no puppies. what do i need to look for or do? can she be postponing it because she is normally an outside dog?
Hello and thanks for researching this very important question!

Although stress can inhibit the progress of labor, No a dog cannot "stop" her own labor or delay progress with her own desire to do so. Other physiologic things can cause a labor to Stall once it starts.

There are a lot of things that can cause Stress or Stalling during labor...inexperience of the bitch and the owners, change of environment (somewhere she does not feel safe), a very small litter size (insufficient "signal" from puppies that its time to Go), a large pup stuck in the birth canal, other hormonal problems that keep the uterus from squeezing hard enough.

If she passed a mucous plug, then chances are labor started at that time...puppies should arrive within 30 minutes of visibly hard contractions of the belly muscles.

In your place, since I cannot see or feel what is happening to her, I would call your veterinary office or emergency service so that her progress can be evaluated.

Although the average due date varies (for a number of technical reasons), her behaviors are consistent with labor and some kind of difficulty with passing the first pup. If pups have detached from the uterine wall, they can drown if their delivery is delayed longer than 15 minutes.

If you need additional support at this time, please "REPLY", otherwise I thank you in advance for clicking "Accept" and will hold a good thought for you both.