Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian

My 2 year basset hound has developed a tennis ball lump on

My 2 year basset hound has developed a tennis ball lump on the side of his neck this has appeared rather suddenly. I am far away from home right now. What shoud I have care taker do?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 6 years ago.
Hi thereCustomer

Thank you for your question regarding your 2 year old Basset Hound who has developed a large lump on the side of his neck. As you can imagine there are a few things that could be going on here. This could be an allergic reaction causing local swelling, however it could also even be infection with a collection of pus under thes skin (aka abscess). Other possibilities include a growth (however less likely if this appeared suddenly), and englarge lymph node, a hematoma (collection of blood under the skin due to trauma) or even a sialocele (collection of saliva due to a damaged salivary duct).

I would definitely encourage you to get your care taker to get this boy to your local Vet for a full check over and temperature check. If necessary the Vet may even have to take a sample from the lump with a needle to see what is in the mass. Once an exact diagnosis can be made, they can organize a treatment for him. There really isn't a lot that can be done from home as an exact diagnosis really needs to be made as carrying out the incorrect treatment for his problem could make it worse as I'm sure you can appreciate!

Best of luck with this boy and do get him checked over by your local Vet - hopefully the care taker is able to do this for you.

Thank you and please now click ACCEPT.

Kind Regards,

Dr M D Edwards