Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Experience:  Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 18+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist

Why is my dog pooping and peeing on the bed. Weve had her

Why is my dog pooping and peeing on the bed. We've had her for 6 mos and in the past few weeks she has done it a few times while we are not home. We have 2 kittens that have been in the house for 2 months. We are not sure if it's territorial or a dominance issue. Seems to be happening more since the cold weather.

I feel it is a dominance issue at least in part, though most dogs don't eliminate where they sleep. However, she might eliminate where YOU sleep. The behavior you are seeing is partly why I advise clients to never let a dog sit on the couch or chairs and not sleep in bed with them. Humans have to be higher in the pack order than dogs for you to retain control over them and the alpha position. A dog thinks differently than a person. They feel if they are physically at the same height then they are equal or maybe even higher since they have teeth and can bite good.

As alpha, they will show their displeasure in many different ways. They may eliminate in what you consider "your space". They might also eliminate in areas where they do not want another animal to go. So you may be right in that the cats might be partially the cause.

Your first step is to get her off the furniture and onto the floor. Get her a bed just for her. I'd also suggest a crate for when you are not home. Attach a leash to her when she is around the house so you can easily remove her from the bed and furniture. She is likely not to take kindly on the new rules so a leash can avoid aggression.

I'd go ahead and start serious obedience training as well. Before you can get into classes, I am including links to a couple of other sites that teach some good methods of training. Be sure and read both.

Training works best if you train at least 30 minutes a day (two 15 minute sessions). I would start making your dog work via the Nothing in life is free program (NILF). It is outlined below.

You should also have a fecal exam done and a urinalyses to definitely rule out a medical issue such as worms which with new kittens might be contributing to the situation. I hope this information is helpful to you.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Yes, this was helpful. Thank you so much. She has gone a couple times on the floor too...mostly when we are gone, but once when we were there and just kicked her out of bed. We do have a bed for her, but we have let her sleep with us sometimes too. My boyfriend has been against it and I am needing to concede myself now. Do you think it has anything to do with separation anxiety too? It makes sense about the dominance and us needing to establish that with training. She is a rescue and we have been working a lot with her and towards training here and learning more how to do so properly. She also displays some aggression towards other dogs once in awhile towards the cats. With dogs I'm not sure if it's territorial or dominance...probably dominance...and with the cats probably too. She's not out of control, but we're not in control enough for sure. She is Alpha for sure, but a really sweet dog with potential. I will try what you have suggested including the training exercises. Can you suggest anything sites with additional info or have any other brief feedback?

The following site is helpful. Be sure and click on the link to the left on obedience. and links on subsequent pages leading to detailed instructions.