Lisa, Certified Vet Tech
Experience:  AAS Vet Tech. Bully breed rehab & Behavior modification

my dog wont stop licking the floor and has a hacking cough.

Customer Question

my dog won't stop licking the floor and has a hacking cough. my vet thought that she may have esophagitis from eating popcorn and it scratching her throat. he prescribed a sucralfate slurry and clavamox. i've been giving those to her and feeding her soft food for 2 days, and she seemed to improve. then tonight i gave her a small dry dog biscuit and afterward, she started the symptoms again. tonight, 3 hours after the sucralfate, she still will not stop licking the floor, drinking water, swallowing hard, and hacking. i don't know what else to do for her!
Category: Dog
Expert:  Lisa replied 6 years ago.

That little dog treat may have undone all the hard work you've put into making her feel better with the slurry and the Clavamox...which is understandable, because I know first hand how hard it is to not give them treats.

The licking the floor and drinking as well as the hacking and swallowing could all be signs that her esophagus is irritated again. Unfortunately, there's not much you can do other than continue the treatment your vet prescribed for the original problem. However, if she seems to become more uncomfortable or seems to have more trouble swallowing, then you should consider getting her in to the emergency vet so they can give her another injection of Cerenia to help her feel better.

Hopefully she'll be feeling better by morning on her own.