Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Experience:  Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 18+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist

My dog gets raw, red sores under his eyes towards the corners

My dog gets raw, red sores under his eyes towards the corners about the size of a pea or small bean. It does not seem to itch. But sometimes it starts with a dark crusty matter that she may contribute to it coming off revealing the somewhat bloody sore underneath. She seems practically oblivious to it, unless I try to put anti-biotic ointment on it, but I have stopped that since it doesn't help. She gotten this a few times before and it clears up eventually, but not for a couple of months.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
No, this has nothing to do with tearing. This is a german shepherd/rottweiler cross. Not a breed with tearing stain. Her hair is already very short and it is not wet under her eyes. The crustiness seems more like a scabbing which when rubbed off reveals raw sores. The only moisture that exists is a surface bleeding - never running blood, just a raw sore.

Thanks for the additional information. You may be seeing oral papilloma if this is more growth like which are warts. In most cases we see them in the gum area or between the toes of a dog but they can be around the eyes as well. It usually clears up on its own in a few weeks. You can read more about this here:

However, if it is starting with a crustiness, then it still might be that some normal eye discharge is trapping moisture under it when it dries and thus is leading to the sores. One thing you might want to try is an antibiotic eye ointment such as Terramycin Ophthalmic Ointment. If there is any infection in the eye area, this should help clear that up.

Another thing that may help prevent this if it isn't papilloma, is using Benzoyl Peroxide wipes on the area on a regular basis to keep bacteria down and help prevent the "crusting".

This may be something that requires a hands on examination to determine what is happening especially if there is any redness to the eye itself or colored discharge.