Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Experience:  Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 18+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist

if i express my dogs anal glands how much should come out

if i express my dogs anal glands how much should come out? i am getting only small amounts and don;t seem to be able to get rid of the odor

Hi Maxxmom,

The glands naturally express when a dog has a firm bowel movement. Frequently if a dog has loose bowels or diarrhea, the glands will fail to empty regularly. This will sometimes cause the glands to leak when the dog is not having a bowel movement or to become swollen when the liquid is not being released.

Since your dog seems to have an odor on a regular basis, it may just be that the feces are not firm enough to keep the secretions on the feces instead of leaking out on its own. What you can do for this is to give your dog a spoonful of canned pumpkin (not pie filling) on her food. This will absorb any excess water in the bowels, keeping the feces firm but pliable. This should help the anal glands express naturally.

If you look at the rectum, the anal glands should be located at the 4 and 8 o'clock positions, so you do want to start a little below that and press upward with a firm motion. Each dog is different, but that is the general location. I'm going to give you a few more sites to look at on anal glands.

The amount of fluid expressed can range from practically non to a tablespoon or if severly swollen you might get even more. The amount really depends on whether it is seeping out or being contained.

Since it does seem that your dog has problems with seepage, I would try getting her fecal matter firmed up and using baby wipes to keep the area cleaned of any leakage. Of course, you could express the glands regularly, but in most cases, expression is not needed all the time.

I hope this information is helpful to you.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
thank you for your suggestions! i had changed dog food brands a while back. it just seems that no matter how much cleaning i do the odor never goes away. if she is having trouble with seepage is there anything different i shoud do?

You can not feed people food, try and keep her on one type of food to keep gastrointestinal issues due to food changes from occurring and add fiber like the pumpkin to her diet. This will create firmer stools and help prevent buildup of fluid that could then leak. Baby wipes or antibacterial wipes should help as well. You can use them a few times a day to freshen her up.

There are people that might recommend having the anal glands removed, but I would only do thiat as a last resort as it can sometimes lead to fecal incontinence. I'd take the smell over leaking fecal matter.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
thanks! i was trying to cut back on expenses but i think i'll cut costs in other areas and go back to a higher grade of dog food!

Good dog food doesn't have to be real expensive. You need to read the ingredients closely. The better dog foods will contain meat as the first ingredient. There are many dog foods that are median priced that are no better for your dog than the cheaper dog foods. So flip the bags over and pay attention to how much protein and fat is present in the dog food and what the first ingredient in the food is. This should help you save money but still get a decent dog food. Remember to mix old with new dog food when switching to keep the feces firm.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
will do. you have been most helpfull!