Sally G.
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant
Experience:  Service/assistance dog training/ behavior /obedience/Therapy dog Evaluator/AKC Evaluator

My dog has been limping for about 2 months now. It started

My dog has been limping for about 2 months now. It started out to be not too noticeable but now it is getting worse. It is his front left paw. The breed is an american pitbull terrier. When hes outside he runs around fine. I felt all up and down his leg and paw and did not feel anything abnormal. I eliminated a paw problem as I have already looked through his paws multiple times. Being as hes a pitbull i understand his tolerance for pain is quite high. The limping is the worst when he first gets up from sleeping. The more he walks on it the less noticeable the limp is. Im not sure what could be causing this.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Sally G. replied 6 years ago.

Hi rog,

You may be looking at arthritis if it is worse when the dog first get up but seems to loosen up when he is walking a bit. This breed is prone to arthritis and it could occur over the dogs lifetime or it can result from an injury. Hardwood floors can cause pressure points on the elbows, or he may have fallen on them creating a problem. Another thing to look at would be elbow dysplasia. Yet one more thing that can cause front leg lameness would be a disc problem in the neck. Since it has been going on for two months you would be wise to have an x ray as well or at the very least a physical exam from your vet who can prescribe medication for pain. IF it were just a soft tissue injury it would have been better by a week to two weeks of onset.

You can read about what I have spoken about below. The sites will go over symptoms and treatments. I you get a pop up window just hit close windows at the bottom to continue the article.

elbow dysplasia

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I read over some of the articles you sent and the general conclusion seems to be medication. It seems as if in either situation it would be a problem that could not be resolved. Am i reading into this correctly?
Expert:  Sally G. replied 6 years ago.

Hi rog,

I could not answer you Wednesday because you had opted out of the question and I was not sure if it was a mistake on your part or not so I had to wait until a moderator was able to opt me back in.

Medication can help ease the pain, and there really is nothing you can give over the counter that won't have a bad effect on the dog.Aspirin is only safe for about two days. You vet can give something like Rimadyl to be used when needed.

Also please take into consideration that there may be some type of fracture that does need to be fixed. Don't just sum it up to a life of medication until you know the cause. Bone spurs have been known to cause problems as well and surgery can be one solution. IF there is a disc problem in the neck then the dog may need steroids to help heal it and you will need to keep him rested. So please don't assume that the above sites are the only thing that can be wrong, they are merely illnesses that are more prone to this breed.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
sorry i didnt know how to use the system.
Expert:  Sally G. replied 6 years ago.
Many get confused with the site so don't feel bad. How is your dog doing?