Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience:  15 years of experience as a small animal veterinarian
14018973

My dog has a crusty nose. 1st vet suggeted hyperkeratosis,

My dog has a crusty nose. 1st vet suggeted hyperkeratosis, we used Vitamin A & D cream, it didn't work and spread across whole top of his nose. It is white and crusty. 2nd vet did CBC and Free T 4 blood work, everything was fine on the blood work, suspects discoid lupus erythematosus. Can we avoid a biopsy? Hate to put him through that. Are there any other ways to diagnose this problem?
HiCustomer

Welcome to Just Answer. I'm sorry to hear about your little one's situation. I know a biopsy can sound scary. But, it is a simple procedure in itself and one that requires a very short anesthetic event. As far as getting a diagnosis of what is going on, the biopsies are going to be the best and only way to tell. When diagnosing the immune mediated skin diseases, you need to see what is going on in the deeper layers on a histopath sample. This can only be obtained by a biopsy. Depending on what the diagnosis is, that will dictate what therapies will be best to treating it. Here is a good link on discoid lupus.

http://www.VeterinaryPartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=2470