ask_me
ask_me, Obedience, breeding, showing
Experience:  Well versed in all things canine! Knowledgeable in breeding, training and showing
5181091

Hello, My 8 year old male Papillon has had bladder infections

Hello, My 8 year old male Papillon has had bladder infections for the past year. X-Rays show a handful of tiny stones. We did not know their composition (oxalate or struvite)so the three times I found blood in his urine the recommendation was to put him on Clavamox. A few weeks later all the stones were gone (when surgery was scheduled twice). The past week he has been banging his hips against the bed crying, extremely hyper, but eating and no fever. I took in urine this morning and they say they found a struvite stone. Doesn't it take lab work to determine the stone's composition? He is going in this afternoon for an x-ray but I imagine we will find the same thing. The Vet. is talking surgery now. My dog was on S.O. Diet but disliked it so much that I switch to a low protein diet by Blue (for seniors) and had him on a homeopathic medicine to dissolve stones. Unfortunately I was not timely in the administration of this homeopathic medicine. If he has surgery stones return.
Category: Dog
Expert:  ask_me replied 4 years ago.

I'm sorry to hear that your boy is going through this. Bladder stones can be difficult to deal with. Testing is done to determine what "type" of stones are present; without this, one cannot get their pet on the correct diet. That said, vet's can often observe what kind they are with relative accuracy. The best prevention for these is a prescription diet. If your dog did not like the one they were one, you may one to try one by Hill's. Another option is to visit a local hoslitic vet or pet nutrtionist. They can advise you on a homemade diet for him. Some owners find that using bottled spring water (or distilled water) can be helpful as well. The following link has a section on making treats from the canned food and also information on another pet owner that was in your situation: http://www.petplace.com/dogs/how-can-i-prevent-recurring-bladder-stones/page1.aspx

I hope he's doing better soon.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hello, My dog is crying out loud right now from pain, is on tramadol, and is going in for x-rays. I'm thinking he needs to go to an emergency clinic on IV for anti-biotics. I'm actually headed out the door. Do you advise against surgery if his penus is not blocked and there is no blood?
Expert:  ask_me replied 4 years ago.

It would be advisable to have him into the vet at once if he appears to be in distress. If there is a blockage, even without blood, surgery will likely be needed. The xray will show for sure. I hope he's doing better soon.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hello, It's a day later, an animal emergency, and both vets. have different opinions about my dog. What do you think? There are 8 months of x-rays, bladder stones look almost the same, very tiny struvite stones. Surgery was scheduled once, but the stones were gone pre-op, after a few weeks on Clavamox. They are back but very tiny. One Vet. thinks they should be medically managed right now --with S.O. diet, Clavamox and prednisone (short term)-- and that I should continue the radiographs each month. I have never kept my dog on an S.O. diet as he dislikes it, but given the alternatives I surely would. The more seasoned Vet. (a surgeon), thinks we should go right in and remove everything this time, regardless of X-ray findings. I'd like to try and medically manage the problem right now. Is this advisable? The stones are rubbing against the bladder wall (I can see them in x-ray) and this is the first time we could identify crystals as struvite. His urine is a 6 ph., consistently, and I didn't think struvites could grow in the acid ph?
Expert:  ask_me replied 4 years ago.

Thanks for the update. Medical management is generally the preferred option, more so in older dogs. As he has had these resolve before pre-op, it's likely that this may be the case again. Keeping a close eye (via xray), using the prescription diet (try a few different brands as one may be more to his taste), and utilizing the medication may be enough. You'll want to watch closely for signs of distress, say in contact with your vet and be prepared for surgical intervention if this begins to worsen. As this has been ongoing, you may also want to look into having him seen at your nearest "teaching" vet hopsital (state U etc). They tend to be excellent with ongoing problems and often have specialists on site. I hope he's doing better soon.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
My dog has been in distress for over a week --crying and agitated. Though he does have allergy problems and reacts in a similar, though not as vocal way when they flare up. I would have moved ahead with surgery but the x-rays showed no blockage and his urine flows freely and often. A bigger problem is that he refuses to drink water. I wondered if I should pay $20.00 twice a month and bring him in for water humps on his back? The Vet. that wants me to wait on surgery insists he gets distilled water because of the hard water in Florida. I have a filter but she said it would not effect the minerals much. So I ordered a distiller. My concern is that I'll have the crystals removed surgically and they will be back in two weeks. Alot of expenses and distress overall. Lastly, how can my dog have struvite crystals with a consistent urine PH that should not produce them?
Expert:  ask_me replied 4 years ago.

Even if the urine PH is not condusive to regular circumstance, they can still form. The distilled water should help prevent future occurances along with the prescription diet. If he is not taking in water at all, you'll want to have him in for an IV. Some owners find that adding a bit of chicken broth (no onions) to the food can help with hydration as well. If he is crying and in pain, even with medication, and continues not to drink then surgery is going to become an option that you may want to think about more. In some pets, theraputic treatments (medication etc) are enough however if they are in severe distress more intensive measures may be needed. Also, if your vet hasn't discussed this yet, ask them if cystitis or interstitial cystitis may be another concern. Some dogs with this can get bladder stones frequently. Consider looking into the state U's (or there affiliates) as these tend to be a great resource. I hope he's doing better soon.

ask_me, Obedience, breeding, showing
Experience: Well versed in all things canine! Knowledgeable in breeding, training and showing
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
THank you so much for the new information on cystitis. That is very helpful!