ask_me
ask_me, Obedience, breeding, showing
Experience:  Well versed in all things canine! Knowledgeable in breeding, training and showing
5181091

my german shorthair is losing her hair, she is scratching quite

my german shorthair is losing her hair, she is scratching quite a bit, the places she can reach are where it is the worst. there is a lot of dander. strong odor coming from her ears but they dont look like anything is wrong. she is also licking all kinds of weird things like carpet, boxes, and woodwork
Category: Dog
Expert:  ask_me replied 6 years ago.

I'm sorry to hear that your girl is having this issue. Her symptoms can indicate several things. Some of the main culprits are allergies (note if any new foods, flea medications etc, are used on her), thyroid issue (can cause hair loss, itching and odors), fungal/yeast infections (also can cause this), or some metabolic problems. It would be advisable to have her into your vet for a skin scrape and also blood panel.

Treatment depends on what exactly is found, but typically will include a medication to help relieve symptoms (oral steroid and/or antihistamine), topical product like Derma Pet (good on the skin and for ears), and dietary change (Hill's Z/D). If thyroid, a daily affordable medication will be given to get it under control. If fungal/yeast, she may also be given an oral antifungal. I hope she's doing better soon.

Please click "ACCEPT" or if you need more information "REPLY"

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
The whole thing started after I put an insulated neoprene vest on her for about three days, could she be allergic to that?
Expert:  ask_me replied 6 years ago.

This may very likely be the problem. Your vet can check a blood level called IgG or IgE. This can let them know if an allergic response is to blame. It's likely that they'll put her on an oral steroid an antihistamine to get past this. I hope she's doing better soon.