NancyH
NancyH, Dog Expert:Rescue, Train,Breed,Care
Experience:  30+ yrs dog home vet care & nursing, rescue, behavior&training, responsible show breeding, genetics

My dog ate about 12 small aluminum tart shell containers, along

Customer Question

My dog ate about 12 small aluminum tart shell containers, along with the tarts and the cardboard box they were in about 2 weeks ago. Called the vet and they said just watch him. Now eating and drinking well, active and happy, however has terrible episodes of belching every few days. Bowels are moving and I can see shiny stuff in it so seems to be passing. No bloating or discomfort on palpation. Bowel sounds all present albeit a bit hyoeractive--or maybe that is normal for a dog. Should i be doing anything else and will this stuff show up on film if I take hiom to the vet?
Category: Dog
Expert:  NancyH replied 4 years ago.

Now would be a good time to consider haivng an x-ray done.

There may be some material that has not been able to be passed from the stomach that is causing the belching as a sign of irritation to the stomach lining.

An abdominal x-ray of stomach and intestinal tract should tell you if there is material that may need surgicel or endoscopic removal.

If there is no material showing, it may be the dog has an ulcer frmo an injury started by the foiil cups that will need treatment.

Hope this helps you!

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
But will a plain film show the foil or just intestinal contents? He is clearly not obstructed as is passing solid stool.
Expert:  NancyH replied 4 years ago.

What I suspect you may see is a 'bright spot' where there is material stuck but not blocking everything. Or you may be able to see a spot where there is an ulcer on the surface of the stomach. For that last though you may need an ultrasound oe gastrocscopic exam..

You may find something odd too - I sure was surprised when an x-ray showed a coin stuck to the stomach wall of my dog when we were looking for something else entirely - lucky for the dog we found it as it was a zinc based penny which is really toxic.

Anyway the least expensive look at the abdominal contents usually is an x-ray.

Here is an x-ray showing metal in the intestines

http://i.telegraph.co.uk/telegraph/multimedia/archive/01420/xray_1420907c.jpg

and here is a bottle top in a stomach

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/4/48/Bottle_top_swallowed_by_dog.JPG

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Will aluminum from an aluminum pan show up on film? I recognize endoscopic intervention would reveal it if it is high enough or low enough. I know metal shows up just not sure if aluminum will. Like I said he is clearly not obstructed...passing solid stool and not vomitting, however this belching I am not so sure about.
Expert:  NancyH replied 4 years ago.

Sorry for the delay in replying, when you hit the opt out button I could not answer your last question.

Yes aluminum is a metal and will show on x-rays.

This may just be a tiny bit that embedded in the stomach wall causing an irritation leading to the belching or this could be an irritation, no metal still involved, that is now big enough to cause a noticable problem.

Its possible this is another problem entirely too, so in person vet exam and possibly an x-ray or other testing is your best choice at this point.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Sorry but you really aren't answering my question. All I really want to know is if aluminum foil from an aluminum pan will show up on film. I recognize more solid things like bottle caps and such do. If it doesn't I won't take him to the vet unless the codition worsens. If it worsens he may need something more invasive. I did call the vet when it happened and she said to keep an eye on him for an obstruction, however he is not obstructed. It sounds like you are speculating whethe or not it will show up as other aluminum things do. Do you know this for sure?

Expert:  NancyH replied 4 years ago.

Yes aluminum foil should show up. I don't know how to say it any more clearily than "Yes aluminum is a metal and will show on x-rays."

Aluminum foil is aluminum. Aluminum is metal. Metal shows up on x-rays as do many other non food items.

That is exactly why I suggested an x-ray - because aluminum foil or fragments of it should show up if they are the issue.

There is potential that no aliuminum is left in his system but that damage was done that is getting worse causing the symptoms you see.

No one can tell you for sure what an exam or testing will find - that is why you get them done to find out what is giong on for sure.