Sally G.
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant
Experience:  Service/assistance dog training/ behavior /obedience/Therapy dog Evaluator/AKC Evaluator

dog is trying to vomit. Keeps hacking, licking floor - tried

dog is trying to vomit. Keeps hacking, licking floor - tried to eat poinsetta. has vomited several times but still hacks every couple of minutes. What should I do?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Sally G. replied 6 years ago.

What breed of dog is this?

Does she eat any non food items like raw hides, bones, toys, pig ears , greenies etc.?

Does she eat any human food and if so what?

Could she have gotten into a toxin, or garbage?

You say she has been vomiting and now is not, is she dry heaving? How many times has she vomited ?

Has ther been any change in stool?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

she is an Irish terrier. She has had no non-food items today that I know of. her usual food is science diet and she rarely gets human food. we walked her on the usual route earlier today but did not observe her eating anything. She was in the kitchen this afternoon while I prepared a chicken curry using lots of chilis but I do not think she got in the garbage. She has stopped vomiting but she did vomit around 6 times. She is calm right now and hacks every 15 minutes or so - quite "clingy" and "sad". we took here outside about 1 hour ago and let her eat grass until she vomited. Since then she has not vomited.

Expert:  Sally G. replied 6 years ago.

Thank you for that information. I would not allow her to eat grass even though thats what she may want to do. It may be a simple as a self limited virus that will resolve in 12 to 24 hours.

There is always a worry when a dog is trying to vomit but is not as this can be a sign of bloat which is an emergency. However she would be restless, have excessive drooling and her stomach would be getting larger and hard. This means the intestines are twisting and it is life threatening.

Since she is calm now what I would do is allow small amounts of water at a time and you can try giving pepto bismol for upset stomach. I will direct you to a site for dosing.

Tomorrow try a bland diet of boiled chicken and cooked white rice rather than dog food to help settle her intestines.

Pepto (if you get a pop up just hit close windows at the bottom)

If she seems to worsen tonight don't hesitate to have her seen as she may have gotten into something you are not aware of.

Also if she ate any of poinsettia plant that can cause upset stomach and vomiting. It used to be thought to be toxic but now we see it causes a bad case of stomach upset.

Try also rinsing her mouth out with water in case she did eat some of it.