Dr. Drew
Dr. Drew, Veterinarian
Experience:  Small Animal Medicine and Surgery

My dog is 2 months overdue for his rabies vaccine and his appointment

My dog is 2 months overdue for his rabies vaccine and his appointment is for this Saturday. This morning he killed a raccoon. Should I be worried about rabies?
Hi, thanks for your question. How many Rabies vaccines has he had in the past 4 years?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
He had his 3 year vaccination on October 28th, 2006 and a vaccination in 2005. also. He is 7 years old and his vaccinations have always been up-to-date until now.
OK, thanks for the reply. Most rabies vaccines have excellent effectiveness, and the immunity should last for more than the advertised 3 years. However, I would definitely advise having a booster administered tomorrow if possible, rather than waiting until Saturday, just to be as safe as possible. You should be very observant for any signs of disorientation, aggression, drooling, over-excitability, or anything that seems strange, and please be alert to the reality that rabies can be fatal for humans, so any unusual symptoms should be looked at as potentially serious to your dog and your family.