Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM for 15 years. Compassionate, Caring, Experienced.

My dog has a swollen toe, all of a sudden. Its red and the

My dog has a swollen toe, all of a sudden. It's red and the skin is raised. It does not seem to be bothering her.

Dear Janny,

First wash the toe with plain soap and water in case she came in contact with something that has irritated her skin. This will remove the causitive agent.

Next, I would give her some benadryl in case she was stung or came in contact with something she is allergic to. The dose is 1 mg per pound of body weight every 8 hours.

You can also appy a little neosporin to the toe to help prevent infection.

If she is licking it, I recommend you get an e-collar (plastic cone) or she will make the inflammation,or infection, worse.

If the topical treatment does not improve the swelling or redness, she will need to go to the vet. She may need oral antibiotics to resolve the infection.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
OK Dr, thanks. We're trying to get her into the vet tomorrow. She doesn't go out so doubt it was anything that stung or bit her.... do you think it's a broken toe?

Is she limping on it?

If you move it back and forth does the motion bother her?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

She is not limping on it. When I tried to move it, she didn't do anything but she ran away because she 'hates' being examined. :) Thanks so much, Dr.

Thank you ; )

When it is fractured, or dislocated, they limp on that paw and they have a painful response when you palpate the toe.

I would say she has a bacterial or fungal infection of the skin in that toe.

She could also still be having an allergic reaction of the skin or a spider bite too.