KarenLVT, Licensed Veterinary Technician
Experience:  19 years experience with nursing care, talking to clients, surgical asst., lab work, x-rays, etc.

I missed an insulin injection/feeding this morning. Can I

I missed an insulin injection/feeding this morning. Can I feed the dog normally now, and then resume her normal feeding/insulin injection tonight at 7:30pm?

Hi there! I'm sorry you missed giving the injection this morning.

I suggest you just wait to give the injection until the regular time tonight, and feed as you regularly would now and this evening. It's not critical if you miss one injection. And it would be bad if you give 2 too close together.

***For me 7:30 PM is only 4 hours away, but if you are at say 10 hours from that time, it would be ok to give the insulin, but I don't recommend after that***

So, yes, feed her normally now, then resume the regular routine tonight.

I hope this information helps you out. Let me know if I can help you further.

Regards, KarenLVT

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

That helps a ton, thank you! I just wasn't sure if it would be critical since her levels are very high (600's). She's been on insulin for a month now. We started with 9 units 2x per day, and have increased them to 2x daily 16 units. Still, her levels aren't dropping, so next Wednesday she is going in to be tested for Cushings (spelling) disease. Anyway, I just fed her the 3 cups of Royal Canine perscription dog food that I would normally feed her in the morning (2:45pm central time), and then I will feed her another 3 cups and give her the 16 units of insulin at 7:30pm tonight (central time). Does that sound ok?

Thanks again!

Yes, that sounds fine. Wow! That is a high level, and with no change? I agree with testing for Cushings as well. And possible signs of low grade pancreatitis. (That's usually included in the bloodwork for Cushings as well)

The perscription dog food is a great thing to give her as well and shouldn't make her blood suger sky-rocket like regular dog foods can.

Sounds like you are taking good care of her!

Have a very Merry Christmas!

Regards, KarenLVT

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Once again, thanks so much! You're great!