Sally G.
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant
Experience:  Service/assistance dog training/ behavior /obedience/Therapy dog Evaluator/AKC Evaluator

My dog has been acting very paranoid and skiddish over the

My dog has been acting very paranoid and skiddish over the last week. He was also yelping and crying when walking. What is wrong?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Sally G. replied 6 years ago.

HI gbnmxdgrl,

What breed of dog do you have?

Did you bring the dog to the vet?

Why do you think the dog is paranoid?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
He is a rat terrier. I took him to the vet for the yelping and crying he was doing, and they said it was a sprained muscle. That's why he was given muscle relaxers and pain killers. We have been giving it to him every 12 hrs and it's been a bit better. However, in the last few days, probably 2 days, he has been skiddish whenever someone comes too close to him (ex: like backing up or raising their leg when he's behind them, or taking shirt off while he's on bed beside them). He also hides a lot and keeps to himself. 2-3 days before, he was always in the kitchen, up in my face, or always around. He doesn't even come if he's called anymore. The only thing that coincided was that I went away for 2 days and came back and he was different.
I'm a medical student, so I can diagnose people but not animals! I'm just concerned that I'm missing something or that he's sick and wants to be alone. He's no longer acting like his leg hurts. Does it matter that he has gained some weight as well and has to jump up on beds? I have no kids, but my neice and nephew came over with my sister to check on the dogs (have a cockerspaniel as well). She didn't mention anything wrong.
Expert:  Sally G. replied 6 years ago.

Thank you for that information. Smaller breeds are prone to disc problems which can be misdiagnosed as a leg problem if the dog is limping. A disc problem in the lower spine will affect either the front or back legs but mostly the back. A disc problem in the neck will show more front leg lameness. Many dogs who have a problem do not want to be touched or held at times so this may be the problem. A regular x ray may not show a problem but a myelogram may need to be done.

For some dogs pain killers and muscle relaxers are not what they need but prednisone works better.

I would bring the dog back for a check up. The paranoia may be due more from pain and not wanting to be touched.

Here is more on the disc problems dogs can get.