Lisa
Lisa, Certified Vet Tech
Experience:  AAS Vet Tech. Bully breed rehab & Behavior modification
10413311

dog ate one 500mg metformin what do I do

Category: Dog
Expert:  Lisa replied 7 years ago.

HiCustomer

Do you know how much your dog weighs?

How long ago did she eat the Metoformin?

Do you have any peroxide in the house?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
she just ate it about 10 min ago she weighs maybe 50 pounds yes we have peroxide
Expert:  Lisa replied 7 years ago.

Thanks for answering my question.

As a general rule, Metformin (also known as Glucophage) does not work very well to lower blood sugar in dogs, however, giving her the peroxide to induce vomiting won't hurt.

Start with 2cc of peroxide or 1 tablespoon. If vomiting does not happen within the next ten minutes, give another dose. Again, if no vomiting within 10 minutes, give a third dose. When she starts vomiting, everything in her stomach will come up. She will continue to vomit until her stomach is completely empty. So be ready for lots of vomit.

Once you've gotten her to vomit, just to be safe, I would watch for any signs of weakness, tremors, shaking, and if you notice anything unusual with her, I'd have her seen by an emergency vet...just to be on the safe side.

I hope this helps.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
if I can't get her to vomit what should I do, I thought we had peroxide but there is no more
Expert:  Lisa replied 7 years ago.
Then I would keep an eye on her for any of the symptoms I described. It's doubtful that she's going to have any problems since she's a big dog and Glucophage doesn't react in dogs like it does in humans.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
thank you so much
Expert:  Lisa replied 7 years ago.

You are very welcome!!!

if I've helped yout his morning, please take a second and hit the green 'accept' button. It's the only way I get credit for my work.