Candy
Candy, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  Practicing Veterinary Technician for 26 years.Former Veterinary Practice Owner, Technician Trainer
23185754

My dog has been doing a lot of moaning and groaning lately.

My dog has been doing a lot of moaning and groaning lately. She ghas a primary lung tumor and is 16 yrs old. Appetite is good, energy is normal, etc. She also has been diagnosed with canine cognitive dysfunction. Can the moaning be a sign she is in pain or could it be the cognitive dysfunction is getting worse. Also, this morning she tried to bite me when I went to put a sweater on her-she has never done this before. I'm not sure if she is now painful or if her mind is going.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Candy replied 7 years ago.

Hello and welcome

I am so sorry your baby is having this problem.

Congnative dysfunction will most often cause symptoms such as barking at night for no reason, trying to squeeze in small spaces,pacing, isolating themselves etc. alot of which you have already seen with her.

I would lead more toward a pain response with the moaning ,groaning, and trying to bite you.These are more pain related I believe then the congative dysfunction.

She was given tramadol which is a fairly strong pain medication so your vet must think something is causing pain. I would talk to your vet and ask if there is another pain medication that may be helpful.

Anipryl is a drug that is often effective for congnitive dysfunction it may be worth mentioning to your vet.

I would recommend having your vet take a quick peak to make sure there is not something causing her pain. It is possible that you vet may just allow you to come get a different pain medication to see if that helps.

I hope this has been helpful.Please reply back if you have additional questions or concerns.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Thanks Candy. I am a vet receptionist/assistant but I'm at school today and it's finals week. I just wanted another opinion- I plan on taking her to work tomorrow with me but her biting me this morning really upset me. She's not displaying usual pain responses and I tried to palpate her and didn't receive a definitive location of the pain. The moaning and groaning happens when she lays down. Because everything else is ok such as appetite, energy, etc I wasn't sure if the groaning and biting was a cognitive dys. sign or not. Thanks for your help- I don't feel so offended that she bit me anymore. Libby

Expert:  Candy replied 7 years ago.

I just wanted to check in and see how things were going.