Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

my dog has what appears to be a boil on his back and now it

my dog has what appears to be a boil on his back and now it is bleeding..does he need to see a vet or is there something over the counter topical i can treat him with?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 7 years ago.
Thanks for the questionCustomer

While I cannot diagnose this over the internet I can tell you the following :

1. This could well be a condition called a sebaceous gland cysts, these are very common in older dogs. Here is a link which covers this topic in detail : LINK

2. If this turns out to be a sebaceous gland cyst then they are very little cause for concern and your vet should to be able to sort it out in a simple manner. While most lesions such as you describe are very minor the odd one can be a lot more serious and it because of this that my advice has to be that you should have your vet check the dog over to confirm the diagnosis. Also a course of antibiotics may heal things faster.

3. In the meantime poultice the area with warm salt water two times a day for at least five minutes a session and carry this on for a week. Use warm water from the tap and saturate it with table salt. Just use kitchen paper soaked in the salt solution and change it frequently so it holds the heat. I have know this work well, once you have done this gently dry the area and apply neosporin into any open areas.

If I have not covered your question fully enough or you would like to ask more I will be online for the next hour or so and I will be at your disposal.

Scott Nimmo BVMS MRCVS