ERAnimalNurse
ERAnimalNurse, Emergency Critical Care Nurse
Experience:  16+ years of veterinary experience
7788723

My dog has a swollen face and started vomiting, What can I

Customer Question

My dog has a swollen face and started vomiting, What can I do? Is it an allegic reaction to something?
Category: Dog
Expert:  ERAnimalNurse replied 7 years ago.

I am sorry your dog is having trouble. Yes, it does sound like he is having an allergic reaction to something (maybe bug bite or sting), and the absolute best thing to do for him at this point is to take him to the nearest emergency hospital right away. This kind of reaction can progress very quickly, and can lead to difficulty breathing and even cardiac problems. He will need a few injections of anti-histamines and maybe even some steroids, and the vets will likely want to observe him for a few hours to make sure that additional treatments are not needed. If managed quickly, this can be something that resolves without too many complications. Some reactions are severe enough to require hospitalization, but hopefully your dog will do well with some medicines. Please take him in right away and let me know if I can be of further assistance. If this has been helpful, please hit the green accept button. Best of luck with your handsome man, I hope he feels better soon :)