Cher, Dog Caregiver--Extensive Experience
Experience:  Extensive Experience Caring for Canines; Specializing in behavior and health concerns.

I just gave my dogs hydrogen peroxide to vomit up a lot of

I just gave my dogs hydrogen peroxide to vomit up a lot of foam they just ingested. It worked very well on two of the dogs and the vomited everything. The third dog did not vomit. I gave her 3ml of hydrogen peroxide which was too little for her weight. I do not have access to a vet at this time and am worried that the hydrogen peroxide ingestion will harm her. Thanks!
Category: Dog
Expert:  Cher replied 6 years ago.

You can give another dose of the hydrogen peroxide (3%)--1 to 1½ tsp. (5ml)--if she didn't vomit from the first dose. Here are directions to induce vomiting with hydrogen peroxide (first feed a small meal or some soft bread, so there's something in the stomach):

"Despite the label indicating that hydrogen peroxide is toxic, it is safe to give to dogs for this purpose. It is considered toxic since it induces vomiting and therefore does not stay in the body.

The appropriate dose of hydrogen peroxide is one teaspoon per 10 pounds of body weight. If you have an oral syringe, one teaspoon equals 5 cc or 5 ml. Once given, walk your dog around or gently shake the stomach area to mix the peroxide with the stomach contents. Vomiting should occur within 15 to 20 minutes. If no vomiting occurs, you can safely repeat the three percent hydrogen peroxide once. If it is still not effective, your dog may need to be seen by a veterinarian for stronger vomiting medication."

I hope all will be well with all your dogs.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thank you for your answer. I would prefer not to give her more hydrogen peroxide because if for some reason it does not work again I do not have access to a vet until Monday morning.

Is it very harmful for her to not vomit up the 3 mls of hydrogen peroxide that I already gave her? (she weights 25 lbs.) If the answer is yes, then I will try again and hope for the best. If the answer is no, I will hope that she is able to pass the foam.
Expert:  Cher replied 6 years ago.
Hi again, and you're most welcome.

It should not be harmful to her if she doesn't vomit it up, but if you didn't give enough to cause her to vomit, giving another dose of the recommended amount should result in vomiting, especially if you follow the other directions, like walking her around and gently shaking her stomach area to mix the stomach contents with the peroxide. Vomiting should occur within 15-20 minutes. If she weighs 25 lbs., feed her a small meal or some soft bread and then give her 10 ml of the peroxide. She should vomit.