Gen B.
Gen B., Retired Veterinary Technician
Experience:  Lhasa,Shih Tzu Breeder/ B.A.Neurophysiology & Animal Behavior/I use plain English!

How much melatonin should I give my pomeranian to make her

How much melatonin should I give my pomeranian to make her hair grow back. She weights about 7 lbs.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Gen B. replied 6 years ago.
Where is the hair missing (sides/flanks, over the tail, feathers thinning, etc.)?

How long has it been thinning?

Is any of her skin thickening or getting discolored (turning grey or black)?

Is she overweight, underweight, or "just right"?

Is she more sluggish and sleepy now that the weather is getting cool, or is she a very active and enthusiastic pet?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Hair is missing on sides/flanks, but, back of legs, bottom of tail.

Been thinning for 8 mths.

Her skin is turning black/grayish is places.

Her weight is about rights.

She is active even though the weather change

I gave her melatonin about 4 years ago when this happened and it grew it back except for the bottom of her tail. I have been trying again for about 8 months and I think I have been giving her the wrong amount because I didn't remember how much I used to give her.

Expert:  Gen B. replied 6 years ago.
Hello and thanks for researching this very important question!

Dogs can lose their fur thickness and vigor for a number of reasons, including the mysterious Alopecia-X.
Read about Alopecia-X and melatonin dosing here.

Read about melatonin side effects here.

However, as a dog ages (and especially seems resistant to melatonin therapy) we have to consider if there are other endocrine-based reasons for hair loss. The most common problem found in dogs is Hypothyroid. Since thyroid hormones do "jobs" at many other places in the body, including the heart and brain, it is important to make sure that these hormones are being secreted and absorbed in the proper amounts.
Read about Canine Hypothyroid here.

Sometimes changing over to a whole foods diet made at home helps improve immune and thyroid function. Ask your vet for some recipes that you can use to cook for her at home after her thyroid blood levels are evaluated.

If you need additional support at this time, please "Reply", otherwise I thank you in advance for clicking "Accept" and would like to know how things turn out!