Cher, Dog Caregiver--Extensive Experience
Experience:  Extensive Experience Caring for Canines; Specializing in behavior and health concerns.

what do i do if my dog wont stop shaking, but when you hold

what do i do if my dog won't stop shaking, but when you hold him he stops. When you put him down he shakes real bad to where he can't walk??
Category: Dog
Expert:  Cher replied 6 years ago.

Shivering/shaking may be caused by a fever, anxiety, or a neurological problem. If your puppy is shaking so badly he can't walk, he needs to be evaluated in person by a vet, as soon as possible. Once he is diagnosed, he'll be treated and feeling much more comfortable.

If you would like to check his temperature rectally, use a rectal or digital thermometer lubricated with plain Vaseline or KY Jelly and insert 1/2 inch into his rectum. Hold there for 1-2 minutes, then read. Normal temp for dogs is between 100.5 and 102.5. If he has 103 or higher, he needs to be treated at an ER vet center, if it's now after hours for your regular vet.

Continue to hold him and comfort him, and give water, and try to have him seen as soon as you can.

I hope all will be well with your furry boy.