Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM VMRCVM '89, 20 yrs experience in progressive small animal medicine and surgery
9480295

dog: harmful..breeder..worm with panacur I have it in a 290mg surenge

What is the tolerance level in dogs to panacur past...If a 100lb dog is treated as a 130lb dog would that be harmful to the dog ... If a 100lb dog was treated as a 80lb dog would that be too little to be effective? If dogs need 50mg/kg then what would be too much or too little...40mg/kg....60mg/kg.
I am a great dane breeder and need to worm with panacur I have it in a 290mg surenge that lets out 5gm at a time. My dogs will need 4.1g; 3.4g; 3g; and 1g for their weights for three days in a row and then I will treat again in 10 days for 6 days at half streangth...this is for Giareida (sp)...So I need to know if I need to be very specific about the amount I give and find another way to measure it...or if it would be ok to guess about where different amounts would fall withen in 5gm dispenced amount.
Hi annbell,

Many people have used the horse dewormer for deworming big dogs but getting the dose right can be difficult. Do you know what volume has the 5 gms in it?

Panacur is pretty safe and can be given a bit over the dose and be fine, if you give too little it will not be effective. Can you squirt the 5 gm dose onto a piece of wax paper? then you can divide it into quarters. each quarter will have 1.25 gms and you can figure doses fro there. If you know that 5 gms is a certain number of milliliters you can use a smaller syringe to dose ore exactly.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have more questions