Terri Riba
Terri Riba, Healthcare Expert
Experience:  Expert in canine health and behavior. 20 years of experience with dogs

my dog has been regurgitating her food hours after eating.

my dog has been regurgitating her food hours after eating. this is now day two... what is going on?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Terri Riba replied 6 years ago.

Hi there

Has the diarrhea stopped for now?

What was she eating before the raw diet?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
the diarrhea has stopped for now- she had been eating purina sensative systems for the majority of her life- when she was small she ingested small amount of ibuprofen and had to have her stomach pumped- since then she has had a very sensative system.

Dear friend,

I am sorry your girl had so much trouble.

Raw food can also be hard on her GI tract.

For vomiting she can have a half a pepsid (famatodine) every ten hours.

Here are some recipes: this supplement can be fed as a regular diet

treat recipes

Some recipes here some regular and some for health issues

Purina DCO - has a fiber content between maintenance foods and w/d - it is around 7% fiber (w/d is around 15%)

---Eukanuba Optimum weight control

Here are a few other web pages with useful information:

Diarrhea is caused by parasites or GI upsets or stress:

Your girl can have Immodium or kayopectate:

I would pick up any raw dog food when she has diarrhea or vomiting.Try a small amount of boiled chicken with all fat drained off, chop meat , or baby food with no onion, beef, turkey, etc add cooked white rice or infant rice cereal.

Go very slow so she does not throw it up.

Dogs get dehydrated and hypoglycemic very easily from diarrhea.

Add unflavored pedialyte to her water 50/50 to hydrate her and balance her electrolytes.

Put a drop of pancake syrup on her tongue to raise her blood sugar in case she is a bit hypoglycemic. That should perk her up.

Do not allow her to drink a lot at a time sIf he throws up water, she can lick ice

Keep her on that very light diet of boiled chicken or baby food for 48 hours after the stool is normal.

Also give her one teaspoon a day of plain yogurt to keep "good" bacteria in her system.

If she develops any abdominal pain, bloating, constipation or cannot keep anything down she needs to be seen by a vet.

Please let me know how she is doing. I will always be here for you

I hope your baby feels better very soon..

Best wishes for her,

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
thank you- she has been through a lot but is a super happy normal acting dog for the most part- she has not vomited for a few days and has not had diarrhea for a little over a week.
I was really concerned with the recent development of regurgitating her food hours after eating- why would it not be digested? and what can i do to help her get food into her stomach? this is the second meal she has completely regurgitaed about 4-5 hours after eating it. --it looks the same coming back out as it did when it went in.

You are very welcome.

I think this may be a touch of Pyloric stenosis where the raw food is irritating her GI tract and cauing vomining:

It could alse be megasophagus.

Give her the pepsid

So I would try something mild like boiled chicken or baby food.

I hope she feels better very soon.

Best wishes for her,

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
the raw food she eats is essentially boiled chicken. rice and vegetables- along with 1/4 cup of fish blend grainfree dry food on top to get her more protein.... everything that I am seeing online says there is a big difference between regurgitation and vomiting - you keep refering to vomiting in your response and I am dealing with regurgitation. please help clarify....sorry for the confusion - I just want to do the right thing.- oh she is also half german shephard- if that makes a difference.

In the link I sent you it tells you how to tell the difference between vomiting and regurgitation.

It does sound like more like regurgitation. from your decription.

If it continues I would try blended smoothe food and pepsid.

She sounds like a wonderful dog who has a fabulous owner!

I hope she feels better very soon.