ChristineLVT
ChristineLVT, Certified Veterinary Technician
Experience:  Licensed veterinary technician (B.S. Mercy College), 10 yrs in animal medicine and training

I believe my dog has a burst or scraped off lipoma on his

I believe my dog has a "burst" or scraped off lipoma on his back. It keeps seeping blood. I think he literally scraped it or scooped it out when he squeezed through the doggie door. I have an appt. with vet on Wednesday. The woulnd seems like it is just getting bigger and bigger - could that be possible? What do you think this could be if not the accidentally "scooped out" lipoma? Should I try to get an appt. sooner? Thank you very much!
Submitted: 4 years ago via PetPlace.
Category: Dog
Expert:  ChristineLVT replied 4 years ago.
How long was the 'lump' there? Is it hollow now or just the top scraped and oozing? Is there a puncture opening? Is it thick blood or light tinged bloody fluid seeping?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
It was there for several months - it came off once and appeared to come back and then disappeared again with the resultant oozing - it is not hollow it is flat and it is very think blood at times with a lighter sort of pus colored liquid at times - it oozes at varying rates and has what looks like little white granules around the edge of the "wound". It seems like it is getting bigger - there is not what seems like a hard scab the size of two square inches. Doesn't seem to bother him too much, but it is scary looking and I'm hoping it is not a melanoma.
Until you see a vet, it's hard to say exactly what the lump could originally be, but if it completely disappears and reappears, it is much more likely either an infected cyst (non-malignant) or abscess.

Often it cannot heal completely and for good without correct treatment.

An abscess occurs when bacteria in an area gets trapped under the skin and causes a "pus-pocket", which grows, looks like a little (or sometimes even a big) lump, and then bursts, making a bit of a mess. When the wound closes up again, it again traps bacteria. This can be a vicious cycle.

Since it is already open, I would suggest getting some betadine (iodine) from the pharmacy and making a 1 part solution to 10 parts warm water mix. Gently but thoroughly clean out this area very well, 2-3 times daily until your vet appointment. Keep this pus area clean and open while healing up. You’ll likely need an oral antibiotic from your vet for best chance at healing and not spreading systemically.

Even if some other underlying problem is occurring, this area is definitely infected, by the sound of your description. Skip the cleaning the day of your appointment so your vet can get a sample of cells from the area. If it is possible to be seen earlier than Wednesday, I would do so, as the area may be uncomfortable to your dog, but as long as he isn't irritating the area further by licking/rubbing at it and if not getting enormous, it should be ok to wait just a few days if they can't get you in sooner.

Best of luck, and let me know if I can help further,

Christine

Experience: Licensed veterinary technician (B.S. Mercy College), 10 yrs in animal medicine and training
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thanks so much - I will try to get him in sooner and I'll start cleaning the wound - it makes sense that it keeps coming back if it is a cyst. How can I give you positive feedback or is this it?! You've helped me so much.
Best of luck, I'm sure it'll all work out. If you click accept on the above answers, that is all that is needed (if you accept my answer, that is). Take care, and don't hesitate to reply back at any time if more questions come up.

Christine