ERAnimalNurse, Emergency Critical Care Nurse
Experience:  16+ years of veterinary experience

My dog fell off the bed yesterday morning and started crying.

Customer Question

My dog fell off the bed yesterday morning and started crying. We took him to the vet in the morning and they took xrays and didn't see anything. He has been taking pain meds and an anti-inflammatory. He will not go to the bathroom outside. We carry him out there and he lays down and shakes from the pain, so we bring him back in. The vet said to keep him off of it for a couple days, which has not been a problem at all! He will get up on his own if one of us comes home, but will not walk. We are wondering if it is something pulled or torn? He holds his back left paw up and arches his back when he is standing.
Category: Dog
Expert:  ERAnimalNurse replied 6 years ago.

I am sorry your dog is having so much trouble. X-rays are great for evaluating bones and joints, and sometimes even soft tissue but it sounds like your dog might have something going on that is beyond the capabilities of the x-ray to evaluate. I am particularly concerned about his knee, the cruciate. Dogs that tear this ligament are typically pretty uncomfortable, and usually don't want to bear any weight on the leg at all. Occasionally they may toe touch for balance, but generally the leg is kept up and off the ground. A torn ACL is often repaired surgically. Please see the following website for more information on this issue.

I think you may want to call your vet in the morning and let them know your dog is still not comfortable, in spite of the pain medicines and anti-inflammatory. Let them know you are concerned about his knee. If this is a knee problem, diagnosing it and fixing it ASAP will mean alot less discomfort for your dog and an easier recovery. Please let me know if I can be of further assistance. If this has been helpful, please hit the green accept button. Best of luck with your handsome man, I hope he feels better soon :)