Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.

My 2 week old puppy has a very swollen hard knot in her neck

Customer Question

My 2 week old puppy has a very swollen hard knot in her neck right beneath the jaw. It is a cockapoo. It wasn't swollen when I left for work this morning, but when I can home at 2am it was huge. The puppy doesn't seem to be having trouble breathing, and she is still sucking her mother. She is a little shaky, and her tongue is sticking out a little bit. What could this be? Should I be worried or can it wait until 7:30am when the vet's office opens?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Rebecca replied 6 years ago.
Hi cockapoolover,
If the puppy can nurse, and is breathing normally, I think you can wait until your veterinarian opens in the morning.

This could be "puppy strangles", where there is swelling in the throat. It usually responds to medication. Only a veterinarian can tell by examining this little one. I would get her looked at as soon as your vet is available. Hope this helps, Rebecca
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thank you very much. I got your answer this morning after I had taken her to see the vet. You were exactly right! She has "puppy strangles", and he lanced it and gave her some antibiotics. He said that she should be fine, but to watch her other 6 littermates closely bacuase they may come down with it. I surely hope not, but thank you again for your help. I will definitely use you again for my questions!!
Expert:  Rebecca replied 6 years ago.
You are welcome, and glad to be of help.

I am sending this as an "info request", so that you are not expected to accept or pay again. Rebecca