Dr. Scarlett
Dr. Scarlett, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a practicing small animal veterinarian with 18 years experience.

I put A&D ointment on my dogs lips without realizing it could

I put A&D ointment on my dogs lips without realizing it could be poisonous. He licked it off. I applied twice, but got very little on as he resisted. I washed it off as soon as I knew. Not on more then an hour. What should I do to treat>
Not sure where you read that A&D ointment is so poisonous to dogs. If your dog ate a substantial amount of the tube it can cause some diarrhea or stomach upset, but that would probably be the worse. Licking a little off his lips shouldn't hurt him at all, so I wouldn't worry any more about it.

While I wouldn't recommend putting any cream on a dog's lips (since they will just lick it off and it won't be useful), I do recommend using A & D for urine scald.

Hope that helps!
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Thank you so much. I am such a worry wort. I read it online where people talked abotu their dogs eating an entire tube. I am going to call my vet tomorrow and see if he wants to see Ollie. He's been rubbing his head on the carpet and irritating the skin. He sometimes has wax build up in his ears, but there is none there.