Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }

My dog started throwing up yesterday and wont eat. He drinks

My dog started throwing up yesterday and won't eat. He drinks a little water but turns his head up at any kind of food. He's still alert and somewhat active. Just now I've noticed he seems to be shivering (it's not cold in the house). He eats a lot of stuff, anything he can get a hold of. At what point should he go to the vet?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 6 years ago.
Thanks for the questionCustomer

In direct answer to your question : What you should do, just to be on the safe side is have your vet check your dog over sooner rather than later.

While the symptoms you describe would not allow me or any other vet to pin this down to any one particular disease I would say from the fact that he has no interest in food and is vomiting and shivering that something serious could be going on. An intestinal blockage for example is possible, the shivering could be down to a high temperature or the result of pain and stress.

I normally like to suggest home remedies if I can do this safely but in your case I think it is not worth the risk as it could well make things worse. I am sorry I cannot give you any more specific advice via the internet.

If I have not covered your question fully enough or you would like to ask more I will be online for the next hour or so and I will be at your disposal.

Scott Nimmo BVMS MRCVS