Scott Nimmo
Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS.
10315041

My dog just threw up a large brown intestinal or worm like

Customer Question

My dog just threw up a large brown intestinal or worm like looking thing (about a foot in length with segments) I am not sure what to think or do. She is not sick, has been eating and using the bathroom regularly and normally and she is not lethargic. What could this be?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Scott Nimmo replied 4 years ago.
Thanks for the questionCustomer

While I cannot diagnose this over the internet I can tell you the following :

1. In direct answer to your question : This sounds like you saw a round worm and many dogs have them, this is almost quite normal. These parasites actually cause your dog little harm and almost all dogs and puppies have them as they gain their initial worm burden from their mothers and this can persist throughout life.

2. All you need do here is follow a regular worming regime using round worm tablets from your vet or better pet stores. The instructions will be on the packs.

If I have not covered your question fully enough or you would like to ask more I will be online for the next hour or so and I will be at your disposal.

Scott Nimmo BVMS MRCVS
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Sir,

I truly appreciate your promptness, however i do indeed have another question. I looked on google and the pictures of the round worm (I also looked at the picture of the tape worm). Neither of these pictures come close to what she threw up. By chance could it be something else? Also it was not moving or seemed to be alive. I did save the specimen in a plastic bag and triple bagged it (being sure not to touch it at all) and put it in the freezer just in case. Should I have the specimen examined by a professional like yourself in person?

Hello again,

1. There are quite a variety of possible round worm species and they all look a bit different, some big some small, so you could still be dealing with a round worm.

2. If you were to regularly worm your dog against both tape and round worms then you would very likely take care of the problem whatever you are dealing with.

3. Another possibility is that it could be a worm your dog has found in the soil or in the garden, swallowed it and then brought it up. I have known this happen.

4. You would do not harm in having your vet take a look at the worm, you may want to do this when you pick up some worm tablets.

Regards,

Scott