Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }

My dog has a large mass on his trachea. He also has collaping

My dog has a large mass on his trachea. He also has collaping trachea. Emergency hospital admitted him for test but after taking one xray they said there appeared to be metastisis in both lungs and further test not needed. They said it was terminal cancer and reccomended we euthanize. My vet agreed that biopsy not needed. Perscribed steroids, cough suppresent and antibiotic. He estimates the dog has days to live and we should euthanize if he is in distress. He seems to be doing ok although the vet said today the mass got larger from Monday. Anything else we can try or that it could be? Any advise
Thanks for the questionCustomer

I am so sorry to hear about your dog ...

Short answer here but it does cover things : Once the cancer has spread to both lungs there is very little you can do and of course it will likely be elsewhere in the body as well. I would agree with your vet's approach and steroids may help a little in the short term.

While I would have advised a client in a similar situation in exactly the same way as your vet you should be aware that there are specialist veterinary cancer experts in referral practices and university centers. You may want to contact one of them to talk about chemotherapy or radiation therapy on the basis of leaving no stone unturned but in cases such as yours this could be futile ...

If I have not covered your question fully enough or you would like to ask more I will be online for the next hour or so and I will be at your disposal.

Scott Nimmo BVMS MRCVS