How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Cher Your Own Question
Cher
Cher, Dog Caregiver--Extensive Experience
Category: Dog
Satisfied Customers: 20953
Experience:  Extensive Experience Caring for Canines; Specializing in behavior and health concerns.
1470369
Type Your Dog Question Here...
Cher is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

If my dog ate about 1-2 scoops of chocolate ice cream, is that

This answer was rated:

If my dog ate about 1-2 scoops of chocolate ice cream, is that going to hurt her? She is a 2 year old medium sized dog; aprox. 35-45 pds.? do I need to do anything?
Hi, and thanks for your question.

As you may know, chocolate is toxic to dogs, and ice cream is high in fat, so this ingestion can cause serious intestinal problems, possibly leading to the development of pancreatitis.

http://www.sniksnak.com/doghealth/pancreatitis.html

If she just ate the 2 scoops of chocolate ice cream within the past hour, you can induce vomiting to help her get rid of as much of it as possible. Here are instructions from
http://www.petplace.com/dogs/how-to-induce-vomiting-emesis-in-dogs/page1.aspx

"Despite the label indicating that hydrogen peroxide is toxic, it is safe to give to dogs for this purpose. It is considered toxic since it induces vomiting and therefore does not stay in the body.

The appropriate dose of hydrogen peroxide is one teaspoon per 10 pounds of body weight. If you have an oral syringe, one teaspoon equals 5 cc or 5 ml. Once given, walk your dog around or gently shake the stomach area to mix the peroxide with the stomach contents. Vomiting should occur within 15 to 20 minutes. If no vomiting occurs, you can safely repeat the three percent hydrogen peroxide once. If it is still not effective, your dog may need to be seen by a veterinarian for stronger vomiting medication.

Once the hydrogen peroxide is given, it is important to watch your pet so that he does not re-ingest the substance. If there is concern about toxicity, collect and take a sample of the vomitus to your veterinarian."

If you have an ER vet center nearby, it would be a good idea to bring her there for treatment, now.

I hope all will be well with your furry girl.

Cher



Cher and 3 other Dog Specialists are ready to help you