Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }

My dog has alot (3-4) of blood blisters on his stomach and

Customer Question

My dog has alot (3-4) of blood blisters on his stomach and penis. They will break and ooze blood about once every 2 weeks. We are able to clean it and bandage pretty easily. I just wanted to know if this is a sign of something dangerous? He is an 8 year old Italian Greyhound.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 6 years ago.
Thanks for the questionCustomer

I will be very pleased to try and answer your question but to enable me to do so with accuracy I need to know a little bit more information, so first can you tell me :

1. Has a vet seen your dog? If so what was tried ?

2. How is your dog otherwise, any other symptoms ?

This is just a information request for which you have not been charged, I am online at present. I will answer your question shortly after receiving your reply.

Scott Nimmo BVMS MRCVS
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
We adopted him 5 months ago, from a member of my family. I dont know the last time he has seen a vet. I dont think he has seen one in some time.

The dog is ok. He is playful and alert. The odd things I can think of about him is a large bump on the bottom of his stomach. It protrudes approx half an inch from his stomach, and is pretty soft to the touch, almost like theres nothing inside of it. He coughs frequently and during play when he barks it will almost be followed up with a cough and a gag.
Thanks for the quick reply.

While I cannot diagnose this over the internet I can tell you the following :

1. As your dog seems bright and happy it is likely that the skin condition is not of major concern. It could be that a course of antibiotics will sort his out very easily. Where a dog has a skin condition like this it is always wise to treat it for fleas as if they are not directly causing the disease they can often act as trigger factors.

2. The large bump could be a hernia, most of these do not cause any problem but it should be checked out to conform the diagnosis.

My advice to you is to have your vet check your dog over, the drugs which could help best may well be prescription drugs and the bump you mention should be checked over to be on the safe side.

If I have not covered your question fully enough or you would like to ask more I will be online for the next hour or so and I will be at your disposal.

Scott Nimmo BVMS MRCVS