ChristineLVT, Certified Veterinary Technician
Experience:  Licensed veterinary technician (B.S. Mercy College), 10 yrs in animal medicine and training

what kind of a problem could blood in the poop be?

Category: Dog
Expert:  ChristineLVT replied 6 years ago.
How old is your dog?

Is the stool any softer or harder than normal? Any straining?

Has he been to a vet anytime recently? If so, for what?

What breed is your dog?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
he is a bulldog and he is 9 weeks old and his stool is softer than usual. and i have not taken him to the vet recently
Thanks for replying.

It's not uncommon for looser than normal stools to cause irritation as it goes too quickly down the intestinal tract. This in turn grabs the mucus lining with it as it moves down, and the irritation can cause some bleeding as well. Getting to the bottom of the loose stool will solve this issue.

Sometimes dogs just get intestinal upsets which can be fixed easily, and can be attempted to clear up at home as long as the dog is acting normally otherwise, non-painful, and still eating. With puppies, most of these cases are causes by intestinal parasites, which they are born with or can contract other types as well, and some routine deworming will clear up. You can start treating the soft stools at home, but having a stool sample checked to correctly deworm is where you should be headed soon.

For now, feed a bland diet like boiled chicken or boiled hamburger meat with white rice (1:1 ratio). No treats, and don't let him eat grass either. Continue this diet for a couple of days as the stool firms up. Once firmed up, gradually go back to his regular diet over the course of a few meals.

I wouldn't worry for now if he's acting fine, try this, and get that stool sample checked out by your vet.

Best of luck, and let me know if I can help further.