Walter, Breeder
Experience:  Breeder and pet health consultant. Have spent a number of years with dog rescue, training and health

How do I extract anal glands

Customer Question

How do I extract anal glands?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Walter replied 6 years ago.

The procedure isn't that difficult and many people choose to do it at home to save on vet charges. The best thing to do though is to do it in the bathroom because frankly the smell is quite nasty. Its as simple as gently squeezing the gland to express it.

I would suggest having the dog examined by the vet this time to have the glands expressed if this is the issue and to begin treatment for infection if it has gone that far. In the future you can express them at home if it happens again. (You may want to watch the vet express this time so you know how to do it as well). If you would rather do it at home you can do that as well.

Here is a link that we give our clients when they want to do it at home. It has a step by step guide as well as pictures. You may want to keep a eye on the glands in the future and do the express at home if there is a issue. Please Click Here For Instructions