Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }

Cyst Drainage. Black, white chunks, and dark brown blood. Lump

Cyst Drainage. Black, white chunks, and dark brown blood. Lump on Back for about a year.
Thanks for the questionCustomer

While I cannot diagnose this over the internet it does sound to me very like your dog is suffering from a sebaceous gland cyst. The description you gave was classic particularly the discharge.

Here is a link to a good site on sebaceous gland cysts in the dog : LINK

These are quite common in the dog and they are not normally treated unless they cause problems. They start of as small bumps and then may burst and discharge a pus which looks like grey toothpaste with yellow lumps. Most are no worse than spots but occasionally one can get quite large, these ones are then put on antibiotics and may need minor surgery to clear their contents out.

If I am right and the lesion your dog is suffering from are in fact a sebaceous gland cyst there would be no need to much as they are not in any way malignant. I would say that if your dog is otherwise bright and happy and normal in every way all you have to do is to monitor the cyst and the treatment you have given should do no harm and may indeed help. Having said that as I am advising you over the internet you would be wise to have your vet take a look just to confirm the diagnosis.

If I have not answered your question fully enough or if you would like to ask more I will be on line for the next hour or so and I will be pleased to discuss your question further.

Scott Nimmo BVMS MRCVS
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
The Drainage did not resemble tooth paste. It appeared more like fecal matter. Very dark in color, almost like a snake feces. very little white, most Black in color, and seemed to be odorless. unlike other cysts I have seen in the past. Very large (stick) like matter in the center, also black in color???
Hello again,

The content of sebaceous gland cysts can be quite variable in appearance, while I described the normal appearance there is still a very strong possibility that this is what you are dealing with.

The great thing here is that it does not sound like a malignant cancer but remember I am discussing this via the net so the thing to do is to have your vet take a quick look to set your mind at rest ..