ERAnimalNurse, Emergency Critical Care Nurse
Experience:  16+ years of veterinary experience

sudden labored breathing in an 11 year old Shi Tzu. Possible

sudden labored breathing in an 11 year old Shi Tzu. Possible cause?
Category: Dog
Expert:  ERAnimalNurse replied 6 years ago.

I am sorry your dog is having trouble. Labored breathing is considered to be an emergency, regardless of its cause. In an 11 year old dog, labored breathing can indicate any number of cardiac diseases, asthma, pneumonia, heartworm disease, intense discomfort, or any illness that can cause discomfort (diabetes, kidney disease, hypothyroidism, cushings or addisons diseases.....). The list is very long, and your dog will need to be seen by a vet immediately. Having your little one seen today by an emergency vet for some tests can help diagnose the problem, and allow treatment to be started. The longer you wait, the more difficult and expensive it could be to make him (or her) comfortable. I don't want you to have to hospitalize your dog, and I am worried that he (or she) might become oxygen dependent very quickly. Oxygen therapy is extremely expensive (about $600 for 24 hours of oxygen therapy alone), and I'm hoping you can avoid this if you hurry. Please let me know if I can be of further assistance. If this has been helpful, please hit the green accept button. Best of luck with your dog, I hope nothing too serious is going on :)

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Could it be something stuck in her wind pipe? She recently was given a fish skin stick?

It is possible that what she was given is stuck in her throat, but she would also be coughing and hacking trying to get it out. She may also rub or paw at her face. Even if the labored breathing is due to something stuck in her throat, this is still an emergency that requires immediate medical attention.