Walter, Breeder
Experience:  Breeder and pet health consultant. Have spent a number of years with dog rescue, training and health

My dog has what looks like a pimple or a wart near his eye.

My dog has what looks like a pimple or a wart near his eye. He lets you touch it and he isn't in any pain and it looks like it may have gotten a little smaller overnight. He gets so upset when he has to go to the vet, I hate to take him if it is something simple. Do you have any idea what it could be and how I can help him?

Is this on his eye lid or near the eye lashes?

Any discharge from the area?

Is it soft and mushy or hard?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

It is round, soft but solid right at the corner of his eye. It is not on his eye lid or lashes. It is right on his tear duct where I usually clean his eyes in the morning...

What you are describing is a sty which is fairly common in dogs. You can self treat this at home by using warm compresses on the eye for 10-15 minutes 3-4 times a day. The bad news is these tend to spread easily so you may see it come back, or it come to his other eye.

You can help prevent this by not letting him rub at it. Avoid cross contamination by using a clean compress each time, you can wash these in boiling water then throw them in the washing machine and then reuse.

Be careful to wash your hands after handling the area as these can transfer to you as well. For now if you have young children do not allow them to rub or pet your dog since kids pick these up far easier since they are often touching the face.

If this continues and he develops more you vet can prescribe a medicated eye drop to clear it up faster.