Lisa
Lisa, Certified Vet Tech
Experience:  AAS Vet Tech. Bully breed rehab & Behavior modification

what is the dose of celecoxib (cerebrex*) dog a 9 year-old

what is the dose of celecoxib (cerebrex*) dog a 9 year-old dog with hip dysplasia and recently troubled in climbing stairs!
Category: Dog
Expert:  Lisa replied 4 years ago.

HiCustomer

Although dogs are routinely given a drug similar to Celebrex called Deramaxx, there are risks associated with starting this type of medication. Liver or kidney damage can occur, and dogs who are on this type of medication long term need to be monitored routinely to make sure that there is nothing amiss with their organs.

Because in this forum we don't have an in-person relationship with the customers we help, we're not allowed to give dosing instructions for these types of medications. It would be considered illegally prescribing if we were to do so.

I can tell you, however, that as a general rule most vets would start your dog on something else, before they went to Deramaxx. Aspirin is the easiest and safest way to start when trying to control pain associated with arthritis or dysplasia. After that, they'd try something like Metacam or Tramadol.

Because of your dogs geriatric age and the possibility of needing this medication long term, I think the best thing to do is to give your regular vet a call and ask what they suggest you do. Phone calls don't cost anything, and most vets are more than happy to give you advice without actually having to see a patient that they've seen routinely.

I hope this helps.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
my dog withhip dysplasia is a 36 kg Belgian Malinois, elderly. I read and have opted out for Aspirin and NSAID of the Naproxyn or Ibuprofen groups because of their GI adverse effects, and understand that the Cox-2 inhibitor group is much safer and tolerated by dogs. Our dogs are cared by the SPCA here in Hong Kong, and pretty much are never seen by the same vet, as the vets rotate and do not seem to come up with unidorm answers. It appears to me that Deramaxx (deracoxib*) and celecoxib (cerebrex*) are the same or very similar compounds. I am prepared to try this rather than other compounds in my dog. Blood tests on routine liver and renal function test were normal 2 months ago, as a follow-up of a tick fever she recoverd from 6 months ago.
Expert:  Lisa replied 4 years ago.

HiCustomer

I got a little more information from another expert here on JA and wanted to pass it along to you:

Per Dr. Fiona:

" Pharmacodynamic studies on celecoxib (Celebrex) were performed by Searle many years ago. Celecoxib is not consistently metabolized by dogs. Some dogs metabolize it quickly whereas some metabolize it more slowly. Thus a single dose for all dogs could not be established. Celebrex use in a "slow metabolizer" could lead to overdosage; while use in a "fast metabolizer" would be ineffective. This inconsistent metabolism is one of the reasons Searle did not develop celecoxib for dogs. Of all the coxib's in Searle's armament, deracoxib (currently marketed as Deramaxx) showed the best pharmacodynamics and efficacy in dogs. Pharmacodynamic studies performed proved that deracoxib was evenly metabolized in dogs and a standard dose could be established. Celebrex is NOT used in veterinary medicine and it would be dangerous to do so!"

Lisa, Certified Vet Tech
Experience: AAS Vet Tech. Bully breed rehab & Behavior modification