Candy
Candy, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  Practicing Veterinary Technician for 26 years.Former Veterinary Practice Owner, Technician Trainer
23185754

my shih tzu has devolped a rash on her belly i think its coz

Customer Question

my shih tzu has devolped a rash on her belly i think its coz her fur was tangled but i have recent got it cut what shall i do is it a case of taking her to the vets
Category: Dog
Expert:  Candy replied 7 years ago.

Hello and thank you for your question.

Can you tell me if this appears to itch?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
yes she has been itcy it an it is red in colour with like white spots can i ask if the shih tzu is groomed regular can this create skin problems i went away on holiday an my neigbour was watching her 4 the 2 weeks looks like she got wet n wasnt groomed properly as her hair was all knotted n tangled close to her skin hence why i had 2 cut it i also noticed her eyes were redish an rather watery with that sleep stuff. i only got back yesterday an im not to sure what to do my poor baby.
Expert:  Candy replied 7 years ago.

Oh your poor girl,

First the question regarding grooming. Regular grooming should not cause skin problems, however I would not recommend bathing more then every other week as this can dry out the skin.

If she got wet and the skin underneath did not dry due to the matting that combined with the matting can cause skin irritation.

You can try washing the area 2 times a day with a mixture of antibacterial soap with a small amount of 3% hydrogen peroxide mixed in. Pat the area dry do not rub and apply an antibiotic ointment such as neosporin.

Sterile eye wash such as the ones used to clean contacts can be used to rinse the eyes.

Benadryl may be helpful for the itching here is a link to the approved over the counter medications approved for pets and their recommended dosage.

http://www.walkervalleyvet.com/otc-meds.htm

If the rash or the eyes do not appear to be getting better I would recommend a trip to the vet to rule out any infection.

I hope this helps, I too am a shih-tzu mom and they are the best. Please feel free to reply back should you need further assistance.

Candy